There is no cure for heart disease. Cardiac rehabilitation and other treatments can relieve symptoms and help you feel better, but you need to take care of yourself to avoid future problems.
This can require big changes in your life such as exercising, eating healthy foods and quitting old habits. The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone.
Northern Regional Hospital, in partnership with Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, our team of cardiac rehabilitation (rehab) experts develops customized programs to help patients recovering from heart problems to stay healthy. We offer outpatient rehab programs designed to help you improve your daily life and maintain your independence. The goals of cardiac rehabilitation are to:
- Help you understand your condition and treatment
- Help you make lifestyle changes that will improve your health
- Allow you to perform to the best of your abilities
- Provide you with support and motivation to help you make and sustain lifestyle changes
Cardiac rehabilitation at Northern includes:
- Exercise training
- Dietary guidance
- Education to help you manage your condition
- Support to reduce stress and quit smoking
Cardiac Rehabilitation Team Program at Northern Regional Hospital
We are ready to help you successfully manage a healthy lifestyle.
- Clinical exercise specialists
- Registered nurses
Cardiac rehabilitation programs typically last about three months and are often covered by your insurance. We will determine your coverage before you start our program. The program includes:
Medical evaluation: Cardiac rehabilitation begins with a medical evaluation. This gives your rehab team an opportunity to evaluate your current medical condition and track your progress over time.
Dietary guidance: Our dietician will teach you guidelines for a healthy diet. Eating a healthy diet can help you:
- Lose weight, if medically necessary
- Gain weight, if medically necessary
- Take care of high blood pressure and cholesterol
- Meal planning.
Exercise training: Exercise is a big part of any rehab program. The purpose of exercise training is to increase your strength and endurance. If you’ve never exercised before, don’t worry. Our exercise specialists will closely monitor your heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen levels to make sure you aren’t working too hard for your condition. We design exercise programs tailored to meet to our needs, including:
- Aerobic exercises
- Weight training
Support: Counseling can help you adapt to changes that may be required to keep you healthy. Our counselors can help you:
- Reduce stress
- Quit smoking
- Cope with lifestyle changes
- Reduce your risk for future problems
You can also ask questions and get additional information about your heart attack recovery or cardiac rehabilitation program.